2006-03-02

Huet the Whooping Cough of Team Partisans

My French is awful. I belong to the generation of Maritimers that just preceded the explosion of French Immersion in school. Oh, sure, I took enough core French to regurgitate the usual lines, "Je m'appele [name]. Il fait beau," but that's about it. Unfortunately, my laziness has allowed me to coast through life just like most other anglos. Native speakers of other languages the world over all bend over backwards to accommodate us. It's sad and embarrassing, really, and there is no good excuse for it.

One day, I will learn French - but first, I must master my mother tongue because, as many readers out there are already aware, my ungood english is bad too, as well.

Anyway, my point is that a good chunk of the coverage on the Habs is in French only - and it is invariably the juicier chunk. I can often get the jist of print articles online, but sometimes I must defer to the mighty Google Translator, often with amusing results. To wit, from RDS:

"Of unknown with whooping-cough

Cristobal Huet is more recognized in Quebec in France. To Grenoble, its birthplace, the guard of the Canadian can saunter in the streets without creating attroupement. In Montreal, the situation is quite different. In the space of a few weeks, Huet became the whooping-cough of the partisans of the team."

Ah, the price of fame. I wonder if CristoWall misses sauntering in the streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home