2006-02-21

QF Frenzy

- The way things stand right now (after Canada's 3-2 win ofer the Czechs yet before the Swe-Svk game), there is a 65% chance Canada will face Russia in the Round of Death. The chances are 15% for Slovakia and 20% for Sweden. These figures are calculated from the bookies' current odds of W-L-T in the final two remaining games.

- Speaking of the bookies, the Swedish insinuations of throwing today's game may not mean anything, but the story sure affected the odds. They were dead even yesterday; now Svk is a heavy favourite.

- There's nothing like the Olympics to bring out the manic bi-polarity of Canadian hockey fans. It's like the whole country becomes Habs fans for a few days. The only hockey nuts in the world more likely to have a bleeding ulcer right now: the Czechs.

- The three goals Canada scored in the first period today have quelled the pundits' hand-wringing about our offense for now. What worries me: when Canada takes a lead, they have trouble defending it, and when they fall behind early they show no signs of getting back up.

- No matter who Canada faces tomorrow, they will have one small advantage: a little bit more rest. All three possible opponents are involved in the late games, while Canada played mid-afternoon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous kazmojo said...

I'm still a little worried about Canada's offense. The first two goals yesterday were pretty weak.

2/22/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Jeff J said...

Looks like your worries were justified. Shut out three times in four games...

2/22/2006 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home